Heavy rains lead to evacuations in NMBPublished: September 25, 2023
<< BACK TO NEWS
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality evacuated more than 100 residents from the Pollar Park informal settlement in Kuyga on Sunday, 24 September 2023, due to the heavy rainfall that left some homes in the low-lying areas flooded.
This comes after a Joint Operating Centre was activated earlier on Sunday to respond to disaster related reports following the disruptive weather warning that was issued by the SA Weather Service last week.
NMBM Acting Disaster Management head, Henry Lansdown said Kuyga was the only area that needed an intervention on Sunday.
"The work started around 6pm. We recorded 112 people and they were given 112 mattresses and 224 blankets. Some of the residents did not even sleep at the hall, while some did. We can report this morning that the residents have already gone back to their homes. We are seeing the sun come out and that will help in the clean up of the homes that were unfortunately flooded," said Lansdown.
He added that the situation in the area was currently being monitored and the hall will be open should the residents need a place of safety again.
Various teams have been deployed to attend to the damaged infrastructure and remove trees that are blocking access roads.
"We call on our residents to work with us during this time and be patient as some of this mop up work is also dependant on favourable weather conditions. Electricity and roads teams are on the ground and all reports should be attended to soon," Lansdown said adding that the JOC had been called off.
Assessment is underway is other affected areas including Motherwell.
Issued by NMBM Communications Office.