NMBM condemns vandalism, calls for information after cable theft at St George’s Park reservoirPublished: August 18, 2023
<< BACK TO NEWS
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has condemned the vandalism and theft of cables at the newly refurbished St George’s Park reservoir this week.
This comes after the Metro became aware of the incident on Wednesday after workers on site noticed the Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) at the reservoir’s inlet works was off.
Upon entering the inlet works facility, the workers discovered that it had been vandalised.
NMBM Infrastructure and Engineering Mayoral Committee Member, Cllr Khanya Ngqisha said the crime was a setback as about R300 000 would be needed to do repair work.
"We have had workers onsite for maintenance work, as a result the reservoir has been empty since June to carry out the work. We suspect that intruders gained access through the reservoir roof, and then climbed through the weir overflow between the reservoir and inlet building. We will open a case with the SA Police Service. It is worth noting that the doors to the inlet works were locked upon arrival.”
"Our Municipality has spent millions of rands upgrading our facilities to respond to our drought crisis and to be modern too. We have committed to maintain our infrastructure too and it is disappointing that criminal used this maintenance period to steal as the reservoir would normally be full with water. These facilities are there to help residents, vandalism and theft really take us backwards. We call on anyone who has information concerning this crime to inform SAPS to bring the criminals to book,” said MMC Ngqisha.
The Metro will tighten security at the facility to boost the existing security measures which include CCTV cameras.
Issued by NMBM Communications Office.